Friday, April 10, 2009

Audrey Ruth Parks

At the break of day Kevin & Tiffany headed out for the hospital. She was to be induced at 5:00am.



I dropped off Anna & Jared at a friend’s house at 8:00 then drove to the hospital. It was a lovely ride. Instead of taking the freeway, I drove a country back road. The Curious George CD was playing a nice mellow beat. There are several quaint townships and burgs along the road. Many old houses full of charm. Between communities are large stretches if rolling pastures complete with railed fences corralling grazing livestock. It was breathtaking. Arriving at the hospital I found Tiffany and Kevin just comfortably lounging hoping to get things going.



It turned out they had not been given a room or started her on pitocin until close to 8:00. Around 9:30 the nurse asked Tiff her pain level on a scale of 1-10 and she said 7. I said, “7! But you are so calm and quiet.” She said, “I just go inside myself”. She is amazing. Now it is almost 4 hours and an epidural later. We wait…...…at 2:00 the doctor came in to recommend Tiffany go cesarean. Tiffany wanted to have what is called a V-Back which is a vaginal delivery following a cesarean birth. Her Doc was willing to work with her as long as conditions stayed in the favorable range, ie: baby size is not too large and her body begins to open up on its own first. At her appointment on Wednesday he told her she was showing signs of labor so he would be happy to induce to see if she could make it happen. They scheduled it for this morning. Today, with the pitocin, she dilated to 5 then all progress seemed to halt. The Dr. turned up her pit drip a couple times but did not want to place too much strain on a previously incised uterus. They discussed it and in the end she had a cesarean. Kevin & I were dressed and ready to accompany her within minutes.



Having had three cesarean births myself, I was fascinated to observe. I was under general anesthesia with mine and never saw a thing. It was amazing. Little Audrey Ruth Parks is beautiful.



I left the hospital to pick up the kids. After dinner we went to see their Mom, Dad & baby sister. Of course we had to stop at the store to get flowers and balloons. The flowers had a card and Anna said we should write, “Happy Birthday”, so that is what we did. In my prayer earlier today I asked heaven to smile upon us. What blessings we have received wrapped up in this little bundle of pure joy. Humble….Grateful…. Smiled upon.

2 comments:

Rinez said...

Congratulations, Grandma and Grandpa Dunn! She is beautiful and I love her name! So thankful that everything went well, she's healthy and all are happy!

Diana and Gregg said...

Congrats Suzie and Steve! I didn't even know you were going to be new grandparents! Where have I been? Ha! Ha! I love you guys! Diana