Saturday, March 19, 2011

I Am So Far Behind

I am so far behind. In such situations it is easy to continue do nothing as I have been doing; but that is a defeatist attitude and I refuse to succumb to it forever. So with a look backward I shall go forward. Last Thanksgiving I gathered with my brothers and sisters for our seasonal feast. It was the first time we had all been together in close to ten years.


In December Stephen & I took a trip to Hawaii to see Blake, Sara and the kids. We thought this would be our only opportunity to see him before he deployed to Afghanistan in spring.



We had a wonderful visit pretty close to home. Everyone asks how we like Hawaii, the beach and the sun. We tell them we saw the beach twice and both times were from our plane window - once while landing and once while taking off. Blake & Stephen did see it one other time while they were out golfing. What can I say; we are not big beach goers, especially with an 8 month old.






As I said, we thought that would be our last visit before deployment but the kids ended up coming to California the very day we left to return home ourselves. Earlier that month Sara’s dad, David Termeer quietly passed away in his sleep following a two year battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease). We gathered for a lovely funeral to honor a truly beautiful man. His loving spirit will be sorely missed within our family circle.





The Monday night of Christmas week we had a neighborhood family home evening. We went from house to house eating and telling stories, playing games and singing. We ended up at the Ricks’ for hot chocolate and a message about the Savior. I am so glad to live in the neighborhood I do. There is nothing like the security of knowing there are good friends behind the next door.




At Christmas Stephen’s back went out. Oh boy was he in pain. Christmas Eve our neighbor just behind us came over to say we had water running over and oozing through the length of our retaining wall. Ugggg. Sure enough, after examining the sprinkler box we discovered a major leak. Great! Here it is dark, cold, Stephen in pain and water everywhere. Neighbors and friends, the Henrie’s, saw us stalking around by flashlight outside and came over to offer assistance. To make a soggy story short, our friends spent hours that night and more hours the following day (Christmas Day) digging in the mud and repairing pipes. It is very humbling to sit by and powerlessly watch others work and experience discomfort in your behalf. We so appreciate their kind service (see what I mean about great neighbors). We did get to celebrate Christmas with Blake, Sara & boys as well as Sonnet & Christian on the 27th complete with running water. Even in pain he looks cute!

OK, my narrative has made it into the New Year - progress. Those of you who know Stephen will love this. Our ward had a Relief Society meeting to teach sewing basics. A while back Steph bought a ‘lightweight’ backpack pattern complete with material. He was hoping I would make it for him. I fiddled with scrap material trying to make a mock up before cutting out the real deal. In my defense, when I say pattern I mean some zeroxed pages of instructions describing something I had never seen nor could envision.



Anyway, he realized the only way he would get a light weight backpack was to make it himself. It was hilarious when he asked me if he thought it would be OK if he attended the “Get To Know Your Sewing Machine” Relief Society meeting. I had another meeting that night but managed to arrived at the building before they were through and he was pleased and proud to show me his accomplishments. Over the next few days he got busy and darned if he didn’t make the cleverest little lightweight backpack you’ve ever seen.

Blake was stationed at Fort Irwin just north of Barstow almost the entire month of January. We had no expectations of seeing him however, were pleasantly surprised to get his call announcing a 3 day leave. I went to pick him up and we enjoyed hanging out around the house relaxing. Here is our Army Boy. His last day of leave we dropped him off back at Fort Irwin then kept going across the desert and on to Prescott to see Christian & Sonnet. They are doing great and we had fun being together.

Earlier this month Stephen had a workshop in Sacramento and I tagged along. We met up with Dave & Shelly for a wonderful visit. Shelly & I spent a day rummaging around Auburn and various shops. For me it was just what the doctor ordered.

And now, just when you thought I’d seen the last of Blake for awhile; who should call but Blake with a proposal. It seemed he wanted to steal away with Sara for a few days during his two week pre-deployment vacation.
He offered to buy me a ticket if I would come over and watch the boys…oh gee…let me think about that – Yes! Of course I said yes. The date was set for 10 days hence. I will tell you I grew more and more nervous as the day approached. I was so worried I would not be able to keep up with the boys on my own, after all, it has been almost 30 years since I have taken care of two babies 24/7. As it turned out the three days with Jacob & Joshua flew by joyfully. Those two boys are so good natured and loving. It was an unexpected blessing to have this bonus week with Blake’s family.

Phew – caught up. Ahhh the sweet satisfaction of accomplishment.

3 comments:

Sonnet and Christian said...

Yeah! You're caught up. What a wonderful post!

Rinez said...

What a fun read! I don't remember ever hearing about the broken water pipes or Steve's back. Were we so out of touch or have I lost my mind! Loved all the photos and the stories. Those little boys are so adorable - their eyes just pull you in!

Parks Family said...

so much traveling. It is our turn next! We need a Grandma and Grandpa California fix.