I love our ward Relief Society sisters. I love our ward RS Presidency. Could go on and on about the wonderful examples there are in the ward among the sisters and the inspiring leaders we have, but I want to tell you about last night. Last night we had a delightful RS meeting, it was a service auction. Several sisters signed up to donate a variety of services including skills, labor or goodies. First we filled out a questionnaire to determine how many points we had to bid with then the bidding commenced. What fun. I am so thrilled that someone actually bid on my service. I offered a de-clutter session.
Call me quirky, but I actually like to de-clutter clean. Don’t confuse that with regular cleaning –yuck. I mean going through rooms, pantry or closets and tossing out things that have long since outlasted their usefulness or purpose. For example, how many rectangle glass Pyrex dishes do you need…really?
Scale down and toss the rest.
How about old photos, mounds of toys or paper piles? And don't even get me started on garages. So what if you have a perfectly good (you fill in the blank), if you don’t use it – it’s out of here. I know that was your grandma’s (again, fill in the blank) but it has been sitting at the back of your closet for 7 years – it’s out of here.
Don’t get me wrong, I am as sentimental as the next person when it comes to Grandma’s painting, the baby’s first dress or your high school yearbooks. I just prefer to cherish people and memories rather than things. Personal items of emotional value can find a place in the home. Absolutely. I have token items from family members that I have incorporated into my home to beautify it however; I do not think there is a need to ‘shrine like’ hold on to things just because someone you know used to own it. Often times these ‘things’ crowd or take over living space intended for the living. Or worst, the ‘things’ require funds to pay for a storage space to keep it all…… unused and useless.
Living leaner and cleaner is liberating! I am not a neat freak but I do believe there is a measure of peace that descends upon a tidy home.
By the way, I bid on a set of flowers and bows that will look great on a little granddaughter I know. Aren't they cute?

By the way, I bid on a set of flowers and bows that will look great on a little granddaughter I know. Aren't they cute?





3 comments:
De-cluttering is defiantly your thing. You especially love de-cluttering so much that you get to take a load to the dump. It always cracked me up when I would come home and your would talk about your day and how you took one or even two loads to the dump. I would compare how excited you get to putting on a coat for the first time in the season and finding $20 in the pocket.
I love those service auctions and the decluttering is exactly what you say - freeing and liberating. Good for you! I think you're brave to do it at someone else's house! Have fun!
Blake has definitely inherited decluttering from you. It drives me crazy because I'm not that way but it helps keep our home manageable. ;)
Post a Comment