Friday, May 4, 2012

We must really love Shannon


It was Shannon’s brainchild – “Let’s all hike up to the caves above McNally’s. I think that would be fun! Who wants to go?” What is a self-respecting Walkie-Talkie going to do with a proposal like that? We all agreed of course. A date was set but as with set dates, life sometimes gets in the way. First, we all postponed the trip once because I ended up going out of town with Stephen. When a replacement date was selected, Jami said it was Ernie’s B-day but she thought it would be OK. As time grew closer Jami wasn’t comfortable going and decided to stay home and take Ernie out for lunch. Meanwhile, Rinez’s daughter from Santa Monica called and needed her help so off she went. This left Shannon, Gaye and I. We decided to forge ahead.

I must admit we did have a lovely day for it. The weather was cool and sunny. When we met that morning we were all smiles – we had no idea what lay ahead. At least I didn’t. Gaye and Shannon had both been there in years past. In fact, Shannon later disclosed that the last time she was there she vowed she would never return! What! But, like the pains of childbirth, the excruciating memories of their previous trips to the cave had faded. Nevertheless, how quickly they came flooding back when we hit the trail. Man that trail is steep! 2 & ½ miles one way of rocky mountain path.
Going slow and steady sucking air, we did not set any speed records. Of course with Shannon on a hike you will never set records. Not because she can’t set a pace but because she stops to take pictures every few minutes. ‘Oh look, that’s my favorite flower”, click, click, click. “Gee I wonder what the name of that flower is. You know if you take a picture and send it to Google they will send you the information on the flower or plant”. Click, click, click. “Gaye smile”. Click, click. Shannon was really in her element and having fun which made even the steepest of grades cheerful and manageable.  We sure did enjoy the beautiful flowers and foliage along the way. The hard part for me came when we just never seemed to arrive. I wish I had a dollar for every time Shannon said, “I think it’s just right up here”. I was getting a little discouraged especially when she would point out, “See, the trail goes up there”, the operative word being ‘UP’. I am sure glad I have been going to the gym for the last month. At least I had a little endurance built up.


Today, my legs are sore and I have sunburned arms however, I also have great memories of a wonderful day (if not challenging) with my friends. Will I go again….well, I have three babies.

2 comments:

Connie de said...

You are brave, inspiring women!

Rinez said...

After reading and hearing about your experience, I think I'm glad I couldn't go.This old woman can't keep up with you cute chicks! I have to admit, I have tugs in my heart at not being there with my dear walkie talkies!