

" border="0" alt="" />
Ruth Olive Aden Mahoney
Today is my Mom’s 86th Birthday. Born and raised in Buenos Aries Argentina, it was her first home and a treasured memory. The blessing of growing up in that loving home with parents, two sisters and two brothers nurtured her spirit and in turn has shaped my life. I love my Mom. She has been an anchor and role model throughout my life. As Abraham Lincoln said of his Mother, “All I am or ever will be in life I owe to my angel Mother”. From her I first learned of God’s love for me. Her example more than her words, taught me to live life to the fullest. To participate not merely be a spectator, and contribute my talents to any circumstance I found that could benefit by them. She continues to live this philosophy. At 86 she is always on the go and enjoys a full and active life. My Mom has somewhere to go and something of purpose to do every day. Some of her activities include: Church attendance and singing the church choir (of course), several church involvements such as Sunday school, the health and welfare committee that visits the shut-ins, women’s retreats, the women’s circle which involves monthly meetings and service projects. Let us not forget ‘prayer breakfast’ every Wednesday morning. Church ladies in a small room at Cindy’s coffee shop that share breakfast, study and prayer together. That is just church. Now we come to the community: she volunteers during elections, volunteers at the juvenile justice court, volunteers at the tattoo removal program (a wonderful program in which doctors volunteer their time to remove tattoos from minors who wish to change their direction) and attends retired teachers association functions. For fun, she sings and performs in a community senior chorus and goes to the senior center to play card with the ‘old ladies’. In her spare time at home or while watching TV she knits. Everything from newborn layettes which she donates to hospitals for those who have nothing, to beanies for cancer victims that have lost their hair. Just the other day she was saying she was a little at loose ends this summer because school was out and she wasn’t needed at the nearby elementary school as a volunteer reading tutor. To keep herself going she does exercises in her bed every morning before she gets up. She also loves the water and benefits from water exercises in a local community pool. She is an inspiring role model for any woman and I count it a blessing to call her my Mother.
2 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your mom. She is such a beautiful example of womanhood.
Suzie, I am so happy to finally see your blog! What a great job and I love seeing this tribute to your mom. love you tons! Diana
Post a Comment