Monday, September 8, 2008

Goodbye Coyote Lakes

Who was it that asked the question, "Why do men climb mountains?" Was it Sir Edmund Hillary? If the answer is, "Because they are there", let me just say, that is not a good enough reason! If on the other hand the answer is, "To be rudely awakened to personal limitations, age and humiliation", I think you are getting warmer.

My official report is that it was a wonderful time with Blake and the boys. When my strength was waning, they were real troupers. They took care of and watched out for me. When we arrived, I was pretty hammered so I rested and stayed close to camp. The fishing was plentiful as expected. Not a fishing fan, even Blake joined in the fun. Every afternoon the boys found a place in the rocks, protected from the wind, and played Rook for a few hours. The last night we all played cutthroat until late. Every evening we enjoyed a soothing campfire and the spirit of camaraderie that comes with it.

I have always loved Coyote Lakes. I have been there many times over the years with various friends and youth including these boys just ten years ago. However, this time as I left I said goodbye to Coyote Lakes. To quote Clint Eastwood, "Man's got to know his limitations."


4 comments:

Rinez said...

Oh, man! Sometimes change is hard! We yearn for the "good ole days" and yet the days we are in are terrific, too! Good job on this year's adventure!

Parks Family said...

Next time Weaver with the grandkids! I think that is one we should all be able to handle

Papa Randy said...

Wow! Great pictures and great times. Sure brought back memories of our trip some 16 years ago. How time flies. Glad you survived. Thank you again for the great pictures.

sbdunn said...

Ok. So no one told me about the fish bone incident until right now. Blake - you're in trouble!