
Or as Ken Ricks pronounces it, ‘the three a’stupidos’.

One weekend before the departure date, Stephen was going through his equipment and setting up three packs. One for Blake, one for Kenny & one for Jarom, who as it turned out, could also go. Stephen & I were both back by the piano; him sorting through gear and me sewing. Just enjoying the day and one another’s company. Thinking aloud he said, “I guess now that we aren’t going to Maryland until November, I could go with the guys to Coyote Lakes”. We both continued our work for a few seconds then simultaneously, we completely froze and looked at each other. As if analyzing the thought more closely he repeated, “If we aren’t going to see the kids until Thanksgiving, I will have enough time to build the vacation hours.” He sat back on the couch and we starred.
“Do you want to go?”
“Yes, I would love it!”
“Do you mind if I go?”
“Of course not”.
“Do you think they will want you to come? It is just a bunch of young guys?”
“If you ask Kenny, he is so sweet, he will say great! - no matter what.”
“I know…I’ll call Blake. He will tell me straight if he thinks it would be better just to keep it as buddies.”
Well, as you can see, the guys welcomed Stephen. He dusted off a pack for himself and began preparing.
He does look just a little bit excited. Blake came down this weekend and together they planned for meals.
They decided to meet this morning at our house at 9:30. By 10:45 they finally got on the road. Stephen’s pack was by far the heaviest. It dressed out at 69 pounds. I hope he’ll be OK, he is not as young as he used to be. I saw Justin sneak a big rock into Blake’s pack. Boys! – What cha gonna do!
Then there's Blake. Always up for a good time with good friends. He brings comedic relief to any outing. Good-bye my darling Sara. I will return unharmed......at least I'll try.
Justin is the man with the skills. If Stephen is the 'Old Indian', as in "Let me show you an old Indian trick", Justin is the Young Indian. Jackie has no worries. Everyone is in good hands with these two along.
Check out those knickers! He had me make them special. He's so cute. And don't miss the toilet seat strapped to the back of Kenny's pack. Actually, it is Stephen's, but he didn't think he could add the weight. Kenny took pity on him and will carry it.
I am sure they will have tall tales of grand adventures when they return on Saturday.
4 comments:
They packed a toilet seat!?!? That's hilarious!!!
The only "packing in" I do on a camping trip is in a 4 wheel drive until the trees get too close together to go any further! I suppose the older the girls get, the less remote I'll be allowed to take us camping. One of these days we'll buy a pop-up camper trailer.... Or maybe we'll just get a pontoon boat for trips to the lake.
Anyways... Sure looks like they're in for a good time! Love you all!
Oh man i wish i was there! i know it is a boys trip, but i sure do miss our family backpacking trips. I remember the trip to jinny lake with the boys. Kenney trying to be responsible, Blake about to die of starvation and exposer, and Justin cooking food for everyone and setting up the tents so Blake wouldn't die. Dad of coarse was one campsite over with all the younger scouts trying to get them to heed his instructions. Sonnet and I fishing, exploring, camping, and putting all those boys to shame!
So fun! It will be great to hear all about the adventures, especially if Stephen dies from that heavy pack!
Safe to assume they all survived the outing?? I'll bet they came home with some good stories!
Post a Comment