Sunday, September 6, 2009

911

I have heard countless people say they remember where they were and what they were doing when they heard JFK was assassinnated. Honestly I can say I do not, but being only 6 years old I am not surprised. I can tell you where I was and what I was doing when the Apollo landed on the moon, when the Challenger exploded and when the Twin Towers were attacked.



As we approach another 9/11 my mind reflects upon September 11, 2001. I remember being in the old Meadows Field airport terminal waiting for an early morning flight to Reagan National Airport in Washington DC. Stephen & I were in line to check-in when I caught a glimpse of the television screen mounted on the airport wall. The screen showed a picture of a plane hitting a building and exploding. I watched thinking I was previewing yet another action adventure movie. As I paid more attention I noticed a text box in the lower left corner of the screen that read ‘Live’. I left Stephen in line to go get a closer look. Approaching I could hear the announcer adding commentary to the tragic display. It was then I realized this horror was actually happening. I went back to Stephen’s side. We were not the only ones beginning to turn our full attention to the broadcast. Everyone turned to the TV closest to them and watched in shock the instant replay as first one plane hit then a second. At one point an airport official walked through the terminal turning off the sets. When asked why they turned them off and to please turn them back on the response was, “We feel it will be too upsetting to passengers getting ready to fly”. Before long an announcement was made that all flights were cancelled. The TVs were turned back on and we viewed with dread our towers fall. Almost all of us stayed in the airport glued to the news in spite of our newly cancelled flight plans. Together we shared an unwelcome yet poignant moment in our lives. One we will remember.

Whatever your memories hold from that iniquitous tragedy I hope it has changed your life for the better. I believe events, even tragic ones, bring with them an opportunity to grow. An awakening of faith, an enhanced appreciation of life, the courage to defend the right or perhaps a greater resolve to be a catalyst for positive action, can be blessed byproducts of this terrible assault.

While on the church website, lds.org, I viewed the following clip. I pass it along in remembrance.


1 comment:

Rinez said...

Thank you, Susan. You always say things so beautifully and fill me up with inspiration.