Our Dude Ranch trip was the big 30th celebration so when the day arrived we simply went out to dinner at one of our favorite places, Black Angus.Shortly after that came the Relief Society general broadcast on September 2??? It was so meaningful I thought I’d blog about that but did not get to it. I absolutely love our president, Sister Beck. Then General Conference was the following weekend. I had so many thoughts and impressions but did not make the time to blog them.
At this point it should be noted that during this time I was in program mode. My calling as stake activities cultural arts specialist keeps me hopping when program prep time comes around. During August, September and October I was working on the stake social scheduled for October 10th. We had a Barn Dance and all I can say is that 'There was a Good Time in the Old Town That Night!' What a fun time. We had a group of teenage kids perform an exciting dance to the Tim McGraw song, ‘Down on the Farm’. They were wonderful and so fun to work with. I just love young people. We also had an all girls dance to ‘Any man of Mine’. Lots of attitude - it was a crack up. Between the couples, ladies and youth dances I discovered I could choreograph. It wasn’t a natural skill I assure you. I went to senior centers because they had dance instruction there and I rented dance videos – anything I could do to learn steps. I even went to Trout’s every night for a week straight to learn dance moves. You heard right, Trout’s! (If you are not from Bakersfield that won’t mean anything). All in all I had a blast. I took my camera to the barn dance but it sat on my table the whole night - I never even took it out of the case. Boo hoo.

The day after the Barn Dance I held my first rehearsal for the Stake Christmas program. Stephen sang with 34 other men in a wonderful men's choir. Stephen is always so supportive of our programs. He is right there to help with set up and take down as well as give technical advice. I had a creative time putting a script and audio visual presentation together. I am really very lucky, I mean, where else but in the church could I have the opportunity to write and design programs such as these. This calling has been such a creative outlet for me. Six years ago when I was first called, it was mentioned to me that it might be nice to have an orchestra. An Orchestra! Who would have thought that could come together but it did. Every succeeding program has been an adventure and a growing experience. We will see what this year brings.

In between the stake programs, Stephen & I took a trip to Baltimore to attend Jared’s baptism. Jared asked Grandpa to talk and Grandma to sing. That was certainly a highlight of our year. We enjoyed a great week with the kids and grandkids.
While we were in Baltimore there happened to be a rally on the White House lawn so we packed up the kids and went. We met people from all over and were happy to be a part of a demonstration of that magnitude.


We also had a day trip to Fort McHenry of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' fame. We sure enjoyed that piece of history.
Desperate criminals locked in the brig at Fort McHenry.

And there you have it - The Dunn household fall-at-a-glance. Now let's see if I can get a Christmas post up before April!
2 comments:
Yea! It was nice to hear about your fall. Can't wait to see pictures of your fun Christmas.
Good to have your update, even though I know most of what you were doing. So glad we're friends.
Post a Comment