Sunday, September 19, 2010

Stake Conference

What a wonderful conference. Elder Gavarret was the visiting authority for our semiannual stake conference this weekend. All the talks were inspiring. Elder Gavarret was both instructive and so enjoyable as he involved the audience in his messages. We all enjoyed his influential spirit. On a personal note, Stephen's name and my name were read during the releases and sustaining. I was released from my calling as stake cultural arts specialist on the stake activities committee. After seven years I guess it is someone else’s turn. So for a brief few moment Stephen & I were ‘callingless’. That however, only lasted under a minute; for almost in the same breath I was released Stephen’s name was proposed as the new stake Young Men President. No one raised their hand to oppose him so I guess he’s in. Stephen is quite excited about this new call to serve. He loves the Young Men.
Parenting

As for me, callingless might be an overstatement as I still direct the ward choir every week.
We both have testimonies of the restored gospel and love the church the Lord has caused to be raised up in these latter days for our growth and development. There was a very insightful talk given years ago that I believe was entitled, “Why the Church is as True as the Gospel”. As I recall it speaks of the gospel as being the eternal Plan of Salvation encompassing the infinite atonement of Jesus Christ but then goes on to talk about the kingdom of God on the earth, otherwise known as, the church. The church, directed by God yet administered by mere mortals. The church, where people are brought together by a common faith, organized into geographical boundaries and led by lay leaders or what the world would call an unschooled clergy. The church, where we work and serve people we would not normally choose to serve, yet, through this labor we come to love and respect. A church that stretches us, tries us and challenges us all the while sustaining us, shepherding us, ultimately opening the door to our eternal progression.
I love stake conference weekend and look forward to General conference in a short two weeks.

1 comment:

Rinez said...

Amen to all you said. I'm still callingless and anticipate what will come next! I'd hate to be the one to fill your shoes, Susan. You have served excellently in your call and have provided so much beauty and activity for us in the stake. Thank you for your selfless service and your attention to detail to make everything as perfect as it can be. You are remarkable in so many ways, my friend.