Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So What's New?

So what’s new? Well, everything from Tahoe to a break in. Labor Day Stephen & I joined our cousins in Tahoe for a great weekend. The weather was gorgeous and lent itself to hiking, biking and swimming however, the favorite activity was chatting around the kitchen table or out on the back deck. We have always loved our time at the cabin and are so grateful to have such benevolent cousins that share their lovely mountain home with us.


Now for the news on our lovely Bakersfield home – a break in! Good grief. What are people thinking that break into someone else’s home and take whatever they want. I don’t get it. Judging by the condition of the front door, they kicked it in.




It will not shut securely now so we have it braced permanently closed from the inside until the insurance replaces it. The thieves got away with quite a few possessions and made a mess of one of the rooms. Luckily our neighbor walked outside his house at the very moment that one of the thieves walked in our door. The thought of a strange man walking into our house in the middle of the day alerted him so he called Stephen immediately. Steph told him to call the police. Our neighbor’s son and the missionaries, who were there at the time, went outside to watch the house while he made the call. They walked across the street to write down the license plate of the perps. That must have cut short the ransacking because they all ran out of the house, hopped in the car and raced away. The police received good descriptions but who knows if they will actually get caught. I always thought I was so secure living on a busy street with a crossing guard on the corner, but I guess no one is safe these days.


What else has been going on…oh ya, we got a call from Blake. It was so nice to hear his voice.


He invited Stephen & I out on January when he is home for R&R. We will watch the boys while he & Sara take a little get away. That made us happy. He sounds good - I only wish there was another member of the church on his base. As far as the church goes he is all alone. I guess this is to be one of his trials. We pray for him everyday.


Sara and the boys are on the mainland at the moment visiting her Mom in Fresno. They will all come to Bakersfield next week. We plan to take them to the fair - that should be fun.

3 comments:

Britty said...

So sorry to hear about your house! I hope that you are able to replace most things and haven't lost anything too valuable! Glad that you were able to hear from Blake. I think about him often and how brave Sarah is for being on her own with the kids all the time! Have a wonderful time at the fair! <3

Rinez said...

Loved the post. Blake looks good and we'll continue to pray for him. He's such a strong guy, though, that he'll hang in there even though he's alone. We love him, too!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the house. You are right, you are not totally safe no matter where you are. Great to see Blake. We continue to pray for his safe return as well. Sure do appreciate all that he is doing!
I saw your facebook post! Congratulations to Sonnet and Christian!!!!! So exciting!!!!