Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Love The Fall

Today was a wonderful fall day. The first thing to be appreciated was the opportunity to sleep in. Sunday mornings are ideal for that. Getting up at 7:45 instead of the usual 5:00 is heaven. Driving to church is always a treat. We head east and enjoy a beautiful view of rolling hills and mountains. This morning treated us to a gorgeous grey overcast sky. While inside during church it rained. We love the rain. The smell of it and the windshield wipers whisking away a lingering mist. At home, our senses were further delighted when we hit the door and smelled the delicious aroma of dinner cooked and waiting. Roast, potatoes, carrots and celery (sorry we were out of onions) were done to perfection and lured us to the dinner table. Throw in a salad and stir up some gravy and we had ourselves a scrumptious meal. My kitchen sink window faces the backyard and I found it a treat to watch the spitting rain drops on the pond as I cleaned up the dishes. In November the house is adorned with my seasonal fall décor. Something about those silly turkeys, stately pilgrims and strands of flaming fall leaves makes me immensely happy. It is at times like this that I wish my kids lived closer. I know you cannot infuse anyone else with a certain feeling, but I guess because I love the way my home makes me feel I want to fill it with those I love in the hope they will feel that way too. Silly– I know.



After making some crumb cake, I took a small loaf and went to my Mom and Sister Kathy’s place for a visit. In a while my Brother Mike dropped by as well. What fun. Everyone will be scattered for Thanksgiving this year so this little gathering was a delight. During fall the evenings get dark fairly early. This just adds to the appeal. Something about the sky being dark, and knowing it is chilly and slightly damp outside makes the idea of curling up with a blanket very appealing. Napping is a nice idea, but so is snuggling up with a book, a mug of hot chocolate or Stephen to talk to. The possibilities are endless. One thing about it getting dark so early is that the evening lasts a long time. I have time to check the blogs, write a post, call the kids and get a little seminary studying done all before a 9:00 bed time. See what I mean about a wonderful day?

2 comments:

Carla said...

I love this post! I felt the exact same way today, especially about our cozy little peaceful home.

Rinez said...

You expressed my feelings to a "T." Thank you for being such a beautiful writer!