Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

We have had some enjoyable moments since our last post.  I think I’ll work backwards from today. We rang in the New Year with Shelly & Dave in Rocklin. Kind of a spur of the moment trip but delightful just the same. One of the highlights for Stephen was his Saturday golf game. The combination of his new clubs and some valuable tips from Dave’s golfing buddy added up to his best game ever. He came home flying high. 

We rang in the New Year at the Martin's party.  A fun and fesative affair.




Before that we had a pretty busy Christmas week. It started one week before Christmas with a duet by Stephen & I in sacrament meeting. It was just a simple little song but when I heard someone complement Steph he said, "What you heard was controlled terror!". He was so nervous but I think he did a good job.


The party season kicked off the next day with the neighborhood progressive dinner. We met at our house for hor-de-vors and a game. Then we move on to the various neighbor's houses for main dish, dessert and hot chocolate. At each house we have a story, game or something.  It was nice to have a neighbor couple we have not known before join with us this year.


The next day, Tuesday, we had our annual 'Walkie Talkie' Christmas party. The friends I have been walking with for the last 15 years have a dinner with our husbands every year. This year for a special treat, the Thomas’s were in town and could be with us again.




Thursday I hosted our office Bunco. We are not on a schedule but a few times a year we manage to get together for a silly night of Bunco. I sent out an email at work to say I was stirring up a pot of soup, making homemade rolls, putting on my flannel pants and sweatshirt and looking for a game of Bunco - any takers? I got answers immediately. I am not sure what was the most appealing part of the invitation, the food, the flannel or the Bunco. Regardless of the reason, we had a great time.


Christmas Eve included a stop at Mom's church for their Christmas program.  My sister Kathy has been working with the young people there so we wanted to see the fruits of her labors. Then it was on to Jim's church. Niece Amanda is the choir director and Janell leads the handbells so we always go to their program as well.


It was kind of nice to have the week of activity because Steph & I were on our own on Christmas Morning. No family visiting this year. With no kids in the house, we got to bed Christmas Eve earlier than we have in years. Christmas morning we actually slept in. I loved that Christmas was on a Sunday. We only had sacrament meeting and I so enjoyed visiting after church with everyone. With the usual block schedule we seem to be rushing off to the next class after sacrament meeting and we don’t get the chance to visit. Of course I think the general joy of the day added to the over-all merriment. After church we had Mom, Kathy, Mike & Bev over for a yummy dinner.


Before that we spent Thanksgiving with Sonnet & Christian. We had a wonderful time and a delicious meal. Sonnet tried brining the turkey this year causing it to be very moist and succulent. The highlight of the weekend was when the Weavers arrived for Sunday meetings and Christian blessed Ruth. Wonderful family memories.  And of course Ruthie looked adorable.
We look forward to another beautiful year with each other, our family and dear friends.

1 comment:

Rinez said...

Loved reading all of your holiday highlights and the photos are great! Love you!