Saturday, March 31, 2012

What a Great Day

Any day that is on General Conference weekend is destined to be a great day.  Stephen and I, as is our custom, dressed for church and went to the chapel to enjoy conference.  How wonderful.  President Monson set a beautiful tone adding his own powerful testimony to that articulated by Joseph Smith so many years ago,

“No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done”.  How blessed we are to have a prophet in our midst.   
       
We enjoyed listening to President Packer’s tender message.  His reference to children was poignant.  Elder Hallstrom from the Seventy was new to me.  I appreciated his clarifying definition between the church and the gospel.  This afternoon Elder Holland was powerful as usual.  I often think of him as what I envision Peter was like.  Very forthright and passionate.  I loved his analogy of the parable of the laborers.  Also new to me was Elder Baxter of the Seventy.   His message for single parents was especially relevant. And what about the New Presiding Bishopric and General Relief Society Presidency?  I cannot wait to hear from them and come to know their spirits.


In between conference sessions we came home and very uncharacteristic of me, I went to the kitchen to whip up something for dinner later.  I shed my heels in favor of slippers and to protect my dress, slipped on an apron.  Stephen headed out to work on his Jeep.  Unbeknownst to me he donned a coverall jumpsuit.  When I caught a glimpse of him out the window I laughed to myself.  I ran out and said, “Look honey we are Betty and Lawrence”.  We had a good chuckle as we thought of our lovely friends Betty and Lawrence Taylor.  I cannot count the times I have seen Betty in slippers and an apron or Lawrence in a coverall jumpsuit.


  Now Stephen is off to Priesthood meeting.  Today I feel so very grateful for the restored gospel and the Lord’s inspired church. I am thankful for the dedicated and humble leaders that serve so tirelessly for the Lord and in turn the children of men. Now just think, tomorrow I get to do it all over again…….ahhhhh.





No comments: