Now we come to the Bridal gown....a trip to the LA garment district was in order. Neither Sonnet nor I had been there before so we had ourselves a road trip adventure. The shops were diverse and fascinating, bolt upon bolt of fabric - it was great! We loved the prices and even did a little dickering. Thankfully we found gorgeous beaded satin and just the right veil and slip. Back home I went into seamstress mode whipping out two bridesmaid’s dresses. Emily’s looked great and when Sara flew in from Hawaii, I popped up to Fresno to put the finishing touches on her dress. Tiffany’s would have to wait until she arrived. Now it was time to make those first cuts into Sonnet’s fabric. For me the first cuts are always the scariest. It did not help to know we had purchased the last yards of that particular fabric so there was no room for error.

Once I got started I thoroughly enjoy myself. I did not find it stressful as one might think. It was a joy. It came together nicely taking only two days and I am happy to report I only broke two needles on beads.
Tiffany and family arrived Saturday so Monday I made her dress. Tuesday Sonnet’s good friend Karissa, with some help from Tiffany hosted a delightful bridal shower.
Blake & family joined us from Fresno. How fun. My favorite part of a bridal shower is when the bride tells her love story. What a pleasure to hear in her own words the details of her courtship and engagement. Wednesday we were off to LA to spend the night in the temple apartments. Sonnet’s college friend Katie flew in from Utah to stay over for the wedding.
Some of my cherished walkie-talkie’s were there as well.
What a blessing to have dear friends that make such an effort on your behalf. The only missing faces that could have made our joy complete are those of Thad & family. We all missed them but it just could not be this time.The wedding day was all we dreamed it to be.

Sonnet and Christian looked so happy. Stephen & I are blessed to have all our children happily married with growing families. What an amazing feeling of contentment that brings.

One would think the wedding would be the culminating event of the season but ah contraire. With two grown children and their spouses and five grandchildren in the house the fun was just beginning. On Friday we decorated the church for the reception then went out to the show. Saturday was river float day and reception night culminating with gift opening.

May I just say that the reception was such a joy. A host of local friends came to wish the newlyweds well. I so appreciated the out of town friends that came to share our special event. Thanks Shelly, Debbie & Rick (the missionary that baptized me 35 years ago) for being there.Sunday we blessed Blake’s youngest, Joshua, then loaded up and drove to the Tahoe cabin for a week.

We invited Sonnet & Christian to come with us but for some reason they wanted to spend their honeymoon on a cruise without all of us – go figure.

Part of the Tahoe time was shared with Stephen’s family at Camp Richardson. We spent wonderful hours visiting, swimming in the lake, tennis, bike riding and roasting s’mores. Of course special mention must be given to the ice cream store at Camp Richardson – yummm!
Our goodbyes were bade to Blake and crew as they made their way back to Fresno for a few more days with Sara’s folks before returning to Hawaii. The Parks and Dunn’s however, were just getting into our stride.
Back in Bakersfield we still had two weeks with Tiffany’s family. I sure need to thank all our friends with pools that willingly let us invade their homes for hours of swimming fun. The kids especially enjoyed the Rick's pool & chickens and the Rasmussen animals, pool, BBQ & buggy ride adventure. On the 24th we made sure we went to Pioneer village to celebrate pioneer day. Great Grandma Mahoney went with us.
What would a California vacation be without a trip to the beach? We spent a couple days in Avila and Morro Bay. Beautiful Morro Bay has an interesting museum specifically catering to kids. Everyone enjoyed the time there.
We fit in one last river float before it came time to take the Parks to the airport.With grown children living all over, and I do mean all over the country, family time is dear. The chance to actually see and touch each precious face is priceless. I wonder if they have any idea what I am feeling when I look them in the eyes, place my hand on their cheek then draw them in and nuzzle their neck. Hopefully they do. I thank my Heavenly Father for this family that is a constant source of eternal joy, pride and happiness for Stephen and I.
2 comments:
Oh, Susan, thank you for sharing your special time. You have such a beautiful way with words that describe things and my mind can see it all! I thought of you all so often and imagined the joyous time you were having.
I'm so lucky to have my kids close by, I can imagine the joy you feel when you get to see your children and grandchildren. I wish I could have been part of Sonnet's wedding celebration and shared in that joyful moment too. I was thinking about you though on my family vacation. I got to enjoy Sonnet at girls camp. She is adorable!
Post a Comment